Arrival in the "Three River City". Passau attracts lots of visitors because the world's greatest church organ is there in the Stephansdom. Passau also has a very charming historical centre. Embarkation will be around 4:30 p.m., departure around 7 p.m. Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell.
The day starts in Engelhartszell (where there is the only Trappist monastery in Austria). From there, we head towards the "Great Loop" - one of the most beautiful and original sectors of the Danube river. You will go past small villages and cosy must-see taverns on your cycle tour. You'll board again in Brandstatt. Then, you "sail into the night" towards Devin.
Arrival in Devin in the morning. The cycle tour takes you to the imposing Imperial Palace of Hof. After crossing the green line you cycle along the former “Iron Curtain” towards the coronation city of Bratislava at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. During a tour by mini train and by foot in the evening (optional) you can discover hidden alleys, places and all the sights of Bratislava, an ambitious metropolis. In the night the boat will move on to Budapest.
Budapest (day of rest)
In the early morning, you can enjoy the panoramic view of the Danube's gorgeous landscape from the sun deck. The gateway to Budapest is overwhelming, as many of the famous tourist features are situated directly next to the river bank. In the afternoon you can explore the city on a city tour by coach and by foot (optional). Nearby, you find the Margaretheninsel, which is an outstanding place for a small bike tour. The charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art life is also worth a visit. In the evening you can enjoy Budapest by night on a folklore program (opt.) In the night, the boat moves on to Visegrad.
The Danube bend is definitely one of most delightful and attractive parts and is called the Hungarian Wachau. Today's bike ride starts at Visegrad with its famous fortress and the ruins of the former palace. You can choose from two different routes. The longer one includes a side trip to the island of Szentendre and the baroque village of Vác, which has been influenced by the architects of the Austrian empress Maria Theresia. The other route leads you directly to the bishop town of Esztergom with its gorgeous basilica – Hungary's largest Catholic Church – overlooking the village. In the night the boat moves on to Vienna.
You should be sure to see the most famous sights like St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg. You can take a city tour by bike or by coach/foot (optional, not included). The gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House and the town hall takes you back to the past. The evening ends impressively with a Waltz and Operetta concert (optional, not included). In the nigh, the boat moves on to Rossatz or Dürnstein (Wachau).
Your last day's cycle tour is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürnstein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In Spitz (possibility for a wine-tasting – optional) you will find cosy wine taverns right alongside the bike path. You owe it to yourself to take a break! You’ll board the boat again in Pöchlarn, a small village. After the farewell gala dinner, you start “sailing” back to Passau.
Passau / Departure
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you can enjoy the first sunbeams and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley on deck. Take a last look at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive nice and relaxed in Passau. Arrival: approx at 10am. Disembark half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connecting trips from noon onwards in case there is a delay.
A flat and sometimes slightly downhill route. All in all a relaxed cycling tour suitable for beginners and children.
- 7 nights in outside cabins of the MS Arlene II with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary from/to Passau
- Captains greeting and Welcome-Drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x lunch snack on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists,
- 6x afternoon coffee break, 6x 3-course-dinner and 1x farewell-dinner with farewell-drink
- Passenger fees and port fees
- Daily Live-Music
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Services not included
- Journey to and from Passau
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- ferry fees
- drinks on board
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Parking space inclusive transfer to/from ship € 66.-
- Parking garage inclusive transfer to/from ship € 77.- (registration form in the travel-documents, payable on site)
• Embarkation: ca. 4-5 pm, disembarkation: ca.. 10:30 am. • Bicycles on board: unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears with coaster breaking hubs or 7 speed freewheel hubs (subject to availability) and pannier bag. E-Bikes are available after prior request and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book • To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. • Languages on board: German, English • Cycle tours: all distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. All cycle tours can be classified as being easy. • Luggage: we recommend rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers. Please be aware that the cabin storage space is very limited • Smoking: the interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.• Land excursions: we offer an optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) excursion programme which can be booked directly on board at the cruise director only. Together with your travel documents you will get a brief description. Depending on the number of participants some excursions could be carried out in 2 languages (German/ English) • Routing/Program: basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. In case of flood or low tide, the shipping company reserves the right to bridge parts of passages by buses. In extreme situations, the shipping company reserves the right to cancel the journey on short notice. No legal right shall be constituted of both situations. The same applies for officially ordered - previously not announced - repair work on locks or bridges. Please be aware that a cruise ship on the Danube is not only your hotel but also a machine, working with engine power also during the night. Especially crossing locks and bridges - and the preparation work - may cause noise. If you are sensitive please bring your own ear plugs. •Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six(6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy. • This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
This tour has 4 more variations
MS Arlene II
The MS ARLENE is a popular middle class ship with a personal and familiar atmosphere. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018 and change the name in MS ARLENE II.