Boat & Bike Amsterdam-Bruges MS Magnifique II
Explore Holland and Flanders
Embarkation and check-in where the crew will welcome you on board is at 1 p.m. At around 2 p.m. MS Magnifique will depart from Amsterdam for Vianen, a small fortified village on the Lek river. After the distribution of bicycles, you can enjoy a short bicycle ride. Dinner on board.
After breakfast you will cycle a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (Silver City) – a city renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th century. As you continue to cycle along the Lek River you will pass through the Alblasserwaard region to Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills, which have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus, a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland. Dinner on board.
During breakfast the ship sails to Willemstad. Your bicycle ride goes to Tholen, once an island in the middle of the large Zeeland streams. Nowadays Tholen is connected to the mainland in various ways. In the afternoon you will sail via the impressive Kreekrak lock to Antwerp, which is not only known as diamond city, but also as native city of painter Rubens. You will find some of his paintings in the “Onze Lieve Vrouwe (our lady) Cathedral”. Dinner on board.
Today’s tour will see you cycle out of Antwerp on a beautiful cycle path along the picturesque tidal Schelde River to St. Amands, your home for the night. There is only one way to describe the landscape around the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour. Dinner on board.
The bike tour follows again the river Schelde in the direction of Ghent. Ghent is a lively university city, again, one with a rich past. In the afternoon you have the opportunity to discover the city some more or to shop in the lively centre. The city was founded in Roman times, where the rivers Leie and Schelde converge. The convenient location has over the years brought much prosperity, culminating in the late 13th, early 14th century. The textile industry brought great wealth. In the city, many old patricians preserved. The Cloth Hall (1425) brought cloth merchants together. The main church is the St. Bavo Cathedral, which is built in different ages and in the different corresponding styles. In the cathedral are some masterpieces of medieval art, which "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" by Jan van Eyck is the most famous. The ship is docked at the lock in Merelbeke, a suburb of Ghent (approx. 30 min by bike from the city centre). Dinner on board.
Today you will cycle from Ghent through the beautiful countryside of Western Flanders to Bruges. Bruges also called the Venice of the North is maybe the most beautiful of all Flemish cities. Its old centre which dates from the Middle Ages is almost completely intact. Bruges was at that time a metropolis and center of commerce and art. You can still see this glory at the beautiful buildings. But Bruges is also a nice town for shopping or going out. Dinner tonight (not included) will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (recommendations available on board).
The last bike tour takes you to a quiet canal along where you’ll find lots of poplars, through an attractive polder landscape with nice small farm houses to the North Sea coast. A long sandy beach and numerous cafés provide enough variety during your lunch break. Then heading back to Bruges. Dinner on board.
Departure from Bruges
After breakfast till 09:30 am: end of the tour and disembarkation.
- 7 nights tour and accommodation on board of MS Magnifique II in the booked category
- Program according to the routing
- Welcome drink
- Meals: (7 x breakfast, 6 x picnic lunch during bike tours, coffee and tea on board, 6 x 3 course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Use of linen and towels
- Daily briefing on the respective bike tours
- Tour guide for guided bike tours (for 18 persons or more two tour guides)
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours (deposited on board, 1 per cabin)
- Fees for ferries
- Entrance fees for Kinderdijk Mills, cathedral Antwerp
- Canal trip Gent
Services not included
- Journey to Amsterdam and from Bruges
- parking fee
- bike rental
- entrance fees and excursions (not mentioned under inclusions)
- town maps
- drinks on board
- dinner on board in Bruges.
Guarded parking areas at the main station (Stationsplein), approx. 5-7 € per day. No reservation possible. Transfer by taxi from Stationsplein to ship berth approx. 15-25 €.
Return transfer by train from Amsterdam to Bruges approx. 40 € per person.
• Embarkation: from 1.00 pm to 1.30 pm • Disembarkation: After breakfast, until 09:30 am • Bicycles on board (brand/model may change): Velo de Ville unisex bicycles, 7 gears, pannier bag, pedal and/or hand brakes. E-Bikes (Velo de ville, hand brakes only, pannier bag) are only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book. To bring your own bike: on request only, due to lack of space on sundeck • Cycle Tours: individual tours or daily guided bike tours by one guide (for 18 persons or more two guides). If there are two guides on board you can often choose between a shorter and a longer tour. Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bicycle option. It is also possible to ride the bike tours individually. Tour description and maps are available on board. The kilometers/miles indicated for the cycle tours are approximate. The quality of the cycle ways along this route is excellent. Most of the way is paved or asphalted and does not have any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable for cyclists with an average physical condition. • Language on board: English, Dutch, German • Luggage on board: we recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. • Alterations of schedule or program: subject to change. In case that as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons a route cannot be taken, the skipper reserves the right to change the route for your safety (this would not be a rea-son for fee-free cancellation) • Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy. • This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
This tour has 2 more variations
MS Magnifique II
During this tour by bike & barge with the MS Magnifique II you can enjoy the most beautiful art cities of Flanders: Brussels, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges are wonderful and interesting historical cities.