Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane, or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
First, you will follow the river Inn to Passau where it joins the Danube and then you will cycle along the Danube towards Engelhartszell. Do not miss the opportunity to visit Engelhartszell abbey with its own liquor production. On your way to Linz you will come across the unique natural phenomenon - the “Schlögler Schlinge”, where the Danube has been forced to make a 180° turn. Once you have reached the European culture capital 2009, you can enjoy the lively historic old town, the scenic views of Linz from the Pöstlingberg or simply take a walk along the Danube.
You will leave Linz and cycle towards Strudengau and Nibelungengau. You will cycle past the Celtic village Mitterkirchen and just before the border between Upper and Lower Austria you will see the baroque town of Grein with Austria’s oldest city theatre and Greinburg castle. Then you will continue your journey to Maria Taferl and Melk. Here you should stop briefly and look up – otherwise you may miss out on seeing the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube.
Today, you will leave Melk and cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you, which is a must-do during a visit to the Wachau region. Refreshed, you will cycle past the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen as well as the ruins of Dürnstein castle. During the last kilometres of your bike tour you will cycle via the 1,000-year-old town of Krems and the Roman town of Tulln to the Danube metropolis of Vienna.
After breakfast individual departure.
Along the river Danube flat or slightly descending, almost 100% on dedicated cycle path without any motor traffic. Only very short parts are on quiet minor roads. Simply a masterpiece of a bicycle tour as it should be.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, French) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1x ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1x wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Arrival and departure
- parking fees
- spa and local taxes as far as due
- optional surveys
- travel insurance
- Expenditure on personal needs
Arrival/ departure and parking information
- Good rail connections to Schärding and Passau. In Passau car park approx € 30, - per week. In Schärding free locally parking. Located directly on the bike path.
- Daily bus transfer from Vienna: about 4 hours, costs € 59, - per person including bike, reservation required! Start at the hotel between 15:00-16:30 a´clock.
Category A: 4**** hotels or the best local hotels
Category B: 4**** and 3*** hotels
Category C: hotels, inns, and guest houses, all rooms with shower/WC, 3*** level