Arrival in Flensburg
Upon arriving in Flensburg, you should take an excursion to the harbour – the museum wharf and the beautiful old warehouses are a must-see. The German part of the Baltic Sea Cycle Route starts close to the city, as does your tour in Schleswig-Holstein.
You will not start today’s tour on your bike, but on water. A boat will take you along the Flensburg Fjord to Glücksburg. Visit the Renaissance castle, one of Schleswig-Holstein’s most beautiful moated castles, before cycling along the first few kilometres of the Baltic Coast Cycle Route. Vivid yellow rapeseed fields accompany your route to Kappeln on the one side, and the deep blue of the Baltic Sea on the other.
Did you know that you can see one of the region’s largest collections of ship’s in a bottle in Kappeln? Before you start your second stage on the Baltic Sea Cycle Route, you should visit this collection of miniature ships. You will cycle further inland for some stretches of today’s tour past castles and manor houses until you reach Eckernförde.
The Baltic Coast Cycle Route will take you to the Kiel Fjord. Kiel, the state capital of Schleswig-Holstein is located at the end of the 16 kilometre long, narrow bay. You will cross the Fjord on a boat and cycle through the districts Kalifornien and Brasilien until you reach Schönberg. This idyllic small town is characterised by red brick houses with thatched roofs.
Today you will spend long stretches cycling along the coast. Don’t forget to pack your swimming gear, as a beautiful fine sandy beach awaits you in Hohwacht – ideal for a refreshing dip! Keep your eyes peeled, you might stumble across the lost hiding place of the famous pirate Klaus Störtebecker. You will then take a detour to Oldenburg, before following the Baltic Sea Cycle Route to Heiligenhafen.
A 400 metre long pier awaits you in Grömitz. A break is definitely worthwhile here, as you will have an amazing view of the Lübecker Bay and its 8 kilometre long sandy beach. Back on your bike you will continue cycling along the Baltic Sea Cycle Path until you reach your destination Neustadt. In the picturesque historical town centre you can find a unique granary.
You will cycle along the Baltic Sea Cycle Route along the Neustädter Bay and the Lübecker Bay. En route you will cycle across famous Baltic coast resorts, such as Timmendorfer Strand and Travemünde. In the Hanseatic city of Lübeck, you should go on a stroll through the historic town centre: The salt storehouse, the Holsten Gate and the Buddenbrook House are only some of countless sights.
Lübeck is located at the border to Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. In the past week, you have cycled 350 kilometres on the Baltic Sea Cycle Path through Schleswig-Holstein! You can be proud of yourself and should treat yourself to a delicious fish bun or a piece of the famous marzipan. If you don’t want your holiday in Schleswig-Holstein to be over yet, we would be happy to extend your stay!
The cycle route takes you through partly flat, partly slightly hilly terrain. You cycle mainly on quiet country roads, cycle parths, country lanes and forest paths.
- 7 nights incl. breakfast, national 3* level
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel until Lübeck, no limit on number of pieces, max. 20 kg / piece
- Boat trip Flensburg – Glücksburg incl. bike (in April, May and September not possible on Mondays and in October not possible on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays)
- Ferry Falckenstein / Friedrichsort – Laboe incl. bike
- Cycle route description with maps (1 x per room)
- 7 day Service Hotline
Not included Services
- Arrival and departure
- parking space
- City or visitors tax (if payable)
- Travel insurance
- Parking deck in Flensburg, Süderhofenden 4 - 6, 490 parking spaces, opening hours: 24 / 7, costs approx. 12 € / day.
Returning to Flensburg
- Optional: travel by minibus (only Saturday from May to September), duration approx. 2 hours. Please include this option in your original booking.
- Alternative: travel by train (on your own initiative), connections available every hour, duration approx. 2.5 - 3 hours, includes 1 - 2 x changes of train.