Individual arrival to Passau. In-between the rivers Inn, Ilz and Danube this city is located on the Bavarian/Austrian boarder. Embarkation starts at 6,30 p.m.At 7 p.m. departure in direction of Engelhartszell. In the evening welcome cocktail, dinner and live music.
You cycle downstream along rural villages in beautiful landscape. Worth-seeing is the abbey of Engelhartszell, well-known for its lovely church and the “healthful” schnaps. From Untermühl you cruise to Linz. The places of interest of this European cultural capital in 2009 can be discovered best by yellow city express (duration about 30 minutes, optional). In the evening the boat is leaving Linz to Mauthausen. (approx. 35 km)
In the morning cruise to Mauthausen. You can visit the concentration-camp memorial place. You will gain deep insights into the past in the celitic village at Mitterkirchen. The easy cycle route will lead you directly along the Danube. Sportive guests choose the variant via fortress Clam in the gorgeus hinterland of Strudengau. Your destination of the day is Grein, where the castle Greinburg (in possession of lordship of Saxony – Coburg) is awaiting your visit. (approx. 40 km)
Grein – Melk – Tulln
Your bike tours starts with the fascinating landscape of “wild Strudengau” – a narrow section of the Danube which was infamous amongst skippers. In Persenbeug the valley gets broader and the bike tour leads to Melk with precious baroque Benedictine abbey. Here you go on board again. Enjoy the sunset on deck during your cruise to Wachau. Goal is the city of Tulln. The history of Tulln in Lower Austria is as long as eventful. It started more than two thousand years ago during the Roman equestrian camp Comagena. The well preserved Roman tower at the banks of river Danube is still an emblem for this period. (approx. 50 km)
Tulln – Vienna/Nussdorf
Just before Vienna abbey Klosterneuburg is embedded in the landscape. The roof of this 900-year-old baroque building can be seen already from afar, the Lord’s Table is a highlight of medieval goldsmith’s art. Kahlenbergerdorf is located next to the shipping pier. After a hike through the vineyards you can enjoy the view onto the metropolis. In the afternoon you have the possibility to discover Vienna, the city of vitality during a city tour by bus (optional). (approx. 35 km)
Today you can experience the pulsating city of Vienna during a city tour by bike (optional). The well-known places of interest as Prater, Stephansdome and Hofburg are passing by, the boulevard Ringstraße with Burgtheater, opera and town hall are reminding of long ago times. In the afternoon there is enough time left for a stroll or the visit of a typical viennese café. Enjoy the evening at a concert or operetta in the Hofburg (optional). In the night the boat is leaving Vienna to cruise in direction of Wachau.
Wachau – Pöchlarn
Soft hills, coined through small, dreamy villages, apricot trees, wine terraces, fortresses and monasteries are bewitching everybody. The blue tower of the collegiate church of Dürnstein is the regions emblem. In Weißenkirchen you have the possibility for a wine tasting. In Emmersdorf enjoy once more a gorgeous view over the abbey Melk at the end of todays stage. After your farewell dinner a folklore show is awaiting you on board. (approx. 40 km)
Enjoy the sun on deck and the silence of the Danube valley for the last time. A last view onto the Danube loop before you arrive around 10.00 a.m. in Passau. Disembarkation at approx. 10.30.
- Program as mentioned in the tour course from/to Passau
- 7 overnights in cabins with shower/toilet/air-condition in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or lunch package for your bike tour, coffee and cake in the afternoon, 3-course dinner
- Welcome of the captain and cocktail
- Daily live music
- Farewell dinner with cocktail
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- change of towels and bed linen if required
- Daily bike tour briefing
- 1x route book for self-guided tours per cabin
- Board tour guidance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Main station Passau: about 5 km from the pier
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 66,- per week
- Park garage incl. transfer park garage – boat – park garage € 77,-
(Application form in your travel documents, payable on spot)
Number of participants
- Minimum of 50 people
- Time table and program are subject to changes. At extreme flooding or low water the boat owning company is allowed to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also validating for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case of an engine breakdown of the boat.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and motor-driven equipment on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise please bring earplugs with you.
- The bike tours are self guided. All mentioned distances are ca-distances of recommend bike tours. Please note that the space in the cabins is limited.
- Please bring rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat and sunscreen as well as sports shoes.
This tour has 1 more variation
Enjoy a great bike tour where you get to sleep on board a boat each evening. The MS Normandie is a very middle-class barge with a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.