Boat and Bike Maastricht-Amsterdam MS Sarah
Boat and bike Maas MS Sarah
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Embarkation and check-in where the crew will welcome you on board is between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. After the welcome meeting there is time for bicycle fitting and a short test-ride. After dinner the tour leader will take you for a walk through the centre of town. We advise you to come to Maastricht one or more days earlier, so that you will have plenty of time to discover this interesting city.
Maastricht is a beautifully preserved city with Roman roots. In this town you find the treasure house of the St. Servaas Church, the Bonnefanten museum for art and antiquity, and the Kazematten, a system of underground fortress works from the 18th century. In addition to these places of interest, it is also worthwhile visiting the marl caves, or just to thoroughly enjoy yourself on the Vrijthof. You will not get bored!
During breakfast you join the barge to Born via the Juliana Canal, where you disembark at the locks. From here you bike over the Dutch/Belgian border into Belgium to Maaseik. This town is famous for the painters Hubert and Jan van Eyck. On the market square you see typical renaissance houses with their impressive facades. You can also use the opportunity to try a Belgian “pint” on this beautiful square. Then you continue to Thorn, the ‘white Village’ on the Dutch/Belgian border known for its cobblestone streets and white painted houses. The only non-white building is the 14th-century church. Our destination for today is the city of Roermond, where of the river Roer and Meuse come together. Roermond is known by its rich cultural heritage. Since 1559 it has been a bishop city. In the centre you will find many historical buildings. Roermond is also the city of Pierre Cuypers, according to many the most important Dutch architect of the 19th century. He is the architect of the Rijksmuseum and Central Station in Amsterdam.
Today you start biking from Roermond. First you follow the river on the east bank to the beautiful village of Beesel, where the grain mill ‘grey bear’ stands proudly along the river. Then you cross over to the other bank to Kessel. Kessel is one of the oldest villages on the Meuse. At lunchtime you arrive in Venlo, with many historical moments and a lively inner city. In the afternoon you ride to Arcen, a former fortified town on the banks of the Meuse. There you can visit the beautiful castle gardens: the Rosarium, with ten different rose gardens; the water and sculpture garden; the Lommerrijk, with shadows, waterfalls and streams; the valley, with six ‘international’ gardens; Casa Verde, with Mediterranean and tropical gardens; the golf garden, overlooking the largest waterfall in the Netherlands.
Today a magnificent bike tour is on the program. First you will bike pass Well where you find the Well castle with its heavy round brick tower dating from the 14th century. You continue through the National Park Maasduinen close to the German border. Around lunchtime you arrive in Afferden. You will find the barge again in Cuijk, another interesting city on the banks of the Meuse. The St. Martins Church, a neo-gothic church, houses a very well kept baroc-organ (built 1639-1650). This organ is one of the oldest in the Netherlands. After dinner you will visit museum Ceuclum in Cuijk and you can climb the tower for a magnificent view of the Maas valley.
Today you bike from Cuijk along the Meuse river to the cities Grave and Ravenstein. Both are medieval cities. In Grave you will see canons from the time of Napoleon. Grave has also played an important role in Operation Market Garden during the second world war, because it was situated near an important bridge. This bridge is now called John S. Thompson Bridge. In Ravenstein you can visit the Tanner’s Cottages in the city park. From Maasbommel you will join the barge again on which you will have a nice sail to Heusden, a very beautifully restored fortified city.
In the morning you will join the barge to Gorinchem, a charming town on the river Waal. From there you cycle through a typical Dutch landscape to Leerdam a little town on the banks of the river Linge. Leerdam is famous for its glasswork. In the afternoon you continue to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek.
You will sail during breakfast. Today’s bike tour, that starts in Breukelen leads along the winding river Vecht to Amsterdam. In Loenen you will visit a mill. Final destination is Amsterdam, where you can take a tour through the canals or visit the Rijksmuseum or the van Gogh museum.
End of your tour: Disembarkation after breakfast until 9.30 a.m.
Easy tours on mostly flat, asphalted paths. Also suitable for inexperienced cyclists, with distances up to 50 kilometers.
| Season 1 |
13.05.2023 | 22.07.2023 | 19.08.2023 | 02.09.2023 |
|Bike & Boat Maas, Maastricht - Amsterdam- MS Sarah, 8 days, guided, NL-NLSMS-08G|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge 2-bed-cabin single use||50%|
- 7 nights in board of the MS Sarah
- 7 x breakfast, Packed lunches, 7 x 3-course dinner, Coffee and tea on board, Welcome drink
- Fees for ferries
- Use of bed linen and towels
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Daily briefings
- Fully guided cycling tours
- Some short walking tours
- Maps and notes for cycling tours (1 set per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- Use of a waterproof pannier bag
- Entrance museum Ceuclum in Cuijk
Services not included
- parking fee
- bike rental
- entrance fees and excursions
- ferry tickets
- drinks on board
- travel insurances.
Parking + charge station own E-Bike: € 25 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
Please click on this link for more information about the rental and own bicycles/E-bikes
Transfer between Amsterdam and Maastricht: There is a good train connection between these two cities. Please visit the following websites for timetables, tickets or more information www.omio.co.uk or www.trainline.eu.
- Accompanied by a competent, professional and multilingual tour leader, you and the group will visit interesting sights and places on the daily cycling tours. During the bike tour, they will explain the local history and culture behind the things you encounter along the way.
- Detailed cycling maps, route tips and a GPS app are available for guests who wish to cycle individually and at their own pace. The tour guide is always available via cell phone in case of questions, breakdowns or emergencies.
- Cycling route distances in the travel program are approximate.
- On some days you can choose between a longer and a shorter cycling route. Please note that on the shorter routes you may not be able to visit all the highlights mentioned.
- If you prefer not to cycle on a particular day, you’re welcome to stay on board and relax while the ship cruises to the next landing place.
- The tour itinerary and route are subject to possible changes due to nautical, technical or meteorological reasons, or other unforeseen events.
- On the arrival day, you can leave your luggage on board the ship from 11.00 am.
Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
The SARAH, with her length of 45 meters and width of 6.6 meters, is a
comfortable and cozy passenger barge.